Located in the heart of Central Campus, the Sterling Memorial Library (SML) is one of Yale’s most prominent buildings and the largest of all the Yale libraries. Completed in 1930, it was designed by architect James Gamble Rogers (Yale Class of 1889) and later named for its benefactor, John William Sterling (Yale Class of 1864). It currently houses approximately 4 million volumes on 16 floors of book stacks. It was built in the Collegiate Gothic style to resemble a European Gothic cathedral, with its 60-foot ceiling, cloisters, clerestory windows, side chapels, and a circulation desk altar. The stained glass windows throughout the building, 3,300 in all, were designed by artist G. Owen Bonawit. SML houses the Irving S. Gilmore Music Library, added in 1998, as well as numerous reading rooms and departments.